Tuesday, January 25, 2011

ZEAL

This week I met with our architect. I've often wished I would have pursued this profession, but back in the "old days", for one reason or another, I perceived that was something girls didn't seriously pursue. I love the mechanics and design of architectural drawing! It is a "language" I'd love to learn to speak more fluently. This meeting got my creative juices flowing. Since then my mind has been quite occupied with all the plans. I imagine walking through the new floor plan as I take my 30 minute drive to and from work. At night as I fall asleep I try to imagine how I might place our furniture in the spaces. I look forward to choosing paint colors for the walls, tile for the floors, lighting fixtures, kitchen cabinetry, rugs for the floors and fabric for curtains. All these decisions energize me and...


...as I was dressing this morning the words I heard in my mind were "zeal for the house consumes me". Aren't those words in scripture somewhere? I began to wonder...am I becoming consumed with this project? Is that bad? Am I focusing too much on the material things in life? I then sensed God speak to my heart. "I am Creator. You are made in my image. Your creativity is a reflection of part of Me." I thanked Him for affirming me...


...and then I responded in a prayer. "Lord, give me your heart for Your House - the people of God, the church. I place zeal for Your House over and above zeal for my house. Keep me balanced with right priorities.


I'm enjoying this stage as plans on paper are taking shape. However, the real action doesn't start for a couple months yet. Until then, I'll keep dreaming, creating and planning...


This living-room will become warm and inviting with just the right paint colors, a working fireplace, bookshelves, comfy couches, draperies and, most importantly, family and friends.

*Psalms 69:9, John 2:17

1 comment:

  1. Babe I love this . . . so cool . . . my heart is stirred again with yours as we pray that God would give us a greater zeal for his house; the church! As I read your blog I was reminded of Jesus zeal for "his house" when he cleansed the temple in Mark 11 and in verse 17 he said, "And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’” . . . May we have this same passion for his church to be a house of prayer and worship.

    ReplyDelete