Saturday, September 24, 2011

REFLECTING

Weeks are going by so quickly. With the fall season upon us and the holidays approaching, it is hard to believe we've been living in this house for almost 2 months now. I think I'm finally feeling at home and all our stuff is finally finding it's place. 


One of the original features I like about this house is the chandelier. When we first saw the house, it was hanging in the living room. It was the one of 3 lights that worked. 



As renovation work began on the house, it became covered with dirt and dust. So Keith and I carefully disconnected it and took it home. We disassembled it and carefully wrapped each crystal in paper towel and diagramed it so we could re-assemble it someday. Finally the day came for all the lighting to be installed...I had to unpack and clean the chandelier.

Not very pretty...and very dirty and dusty. Warm water and vinegar and a soft cloth did the trick. A tedious job of wiping every nook and cranny.
About a week after moving in, we took some time to replace the crystals. There were 5 different shapes and about 10 of each. I referred to the diagram we had drawn and Keith hung them one by one.
without the crystals...
With the crystals!



The crystals reflected the light and beauty of the chandelier, making it special and unique. I'd love to know the value of this piece; its age and origin.

As we were hanging the chandelier, my mind was thinking about REFLECTING. Each crystal was reflecting the light, magnifying it and making it beautiful. This is what God wants us to do...REFLECT Him; reflect His light to a world that is filled with darkness. His light makes us beautiful.


In Matthew 5, Jesus tells us, "You are the light of the world...let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."


Soon after we were married, a co-worker gave me a motto to hang on my wall. It still hangs in our bedroom. It says, "May our life together reflect You, dear Lord." This little prayer has influenced our life together, as well as my personal life. God wants our marriage to REFLECT his love relationship for his bride, the church. God wants my life to REFLECT his character. 


Be encouraged today. Jesus says you are a beautiful reflection of the light which God placed within you. Let that light shine today so that others will praise Him. This week, each time you turn on a light, remember to thank your heavenly Father for his love.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is gorgeous! And I love the truth you have applied too.

    ReplyDelete