Sunday, July 3, 2011

HEART

We've enjoyed having friends and family stop by every now and then to see what we've been doing at the house. I like to welcome them and give tours. It's fun to talk about what the finished product will be like, and I invite advice and opinions on the details. Recently, a friend made a comment to me as we stood watching the kitchen cabinets being installed. He said, "I find it interesting that the kitchen is the first room being completed." Truly, like the old saying goes, the kitchen is the heart of the home.

The first cabinets going up.
We'll be able to pull up some stools at the island.
A big island will be a great place for serving buffet style meals.

A pantry has always been on my wish list. The desk area will serve as a work station, the heart of scheduling, bill paying and record keeping.
I pondered this concept and thought more about HEART. What do I want for this kitchen? How might God want to use this space?  

There are many definitions for this word HEART. It is also the part of our physical body that gives us life. And we all know how much everyone seems to gravitate to the kitchen when visiting. We share joys and sorrows over coffee, snacks and meals. Whether we know it or not, food can affect our emotions. I have lots of good memories of preparing meals and eating together. I also have memories of late night talks while eating a snack when my kids were teenagers. It has been a wonderful place to train our young children to listen and share in conversation and to serve others. As our children grew, we spent many mealtimes laughing together and encouraging each other. 

I look forward to the days ahead. I pray that God will use this space to communicate his heart and to give life.

How might God be asking you to use your home? Your kitchen? How might you create an atmosphere that invites conversation and promotes life?

No comments:

Post a Comment