Sunday, April 3, 2011

LISTENING

It has been humbling and exciting to share this journey with so many people. To hear how God is using what He speaks to me to also speak to others warms my heart. He is an amazing God. How grateful I am to be his child and to be part of a great big family.

This past week has flown by. At the house, we just keep doing the next thing in the midst of other activities and responsibilities in our lives. Last week I took one day to retreat from it all by reserving a little art studio at Herrbrook Farm Retreat so that I could explore another dream of mine - watercolor painting. It was a wonderful get-away where I could be quiet and learn techniques in watercolor painting from a spiritual director and artist friend. 

While it was rainy and cold on the outside, the little studio cottage was warm and cozy on the inside. I enjoyed reading through a couple books and playing in paints. I also had some time to be quiet and meditate on God's Word and LISTEN. 

I am learning that as I listen to what is inside of me; my thoughts, my dreams, my longings, I discover that God wants to use those parts of me to affect the world somehow. He is showing me the purpose for which I was created.

Likewise, while working at the house, I often found myself asking God, "What are you saying in this?" In the past, he gave me illustrations and inspirations as I worked. And you have been reading on this blog some of those things He taught me. But this week there was more silence in my work. I was disturbed by that. My desire is to be in communication with the Father in the great and in the mundane.

Today, He says to me..."I am happy to have you sit with me in quietness and simply listen. Life doesn't have to be filled with learning and doing all the time. It is good to come away and simply be. There will be time for work later. But for now, I'm happy that you just LISTEN."
"Be still, and know that I am God..." Psalm 46
So, it was good to be quiet in the midst of the work. . . and many of you have been asking how that work is going. I thought I'd give you a picture of where things are by now in the demolition. Framers come tomorrow and we are very excited to get past destruction and into the rebuilding phase. 

The following pictures are not very pretty. . .

looking into the dining room and kitchen from the living room
standing in the kitchen looking into the dining room towards the front entry
standing in the second floor hallway...the "room" to the right will be a master bath
the bathroom on the third floor is totally destroyed...debris is ready to be hauled out.


Stay tuned for prettier things ahead. 

Keep LISTENING. . . Take time to be quiet so the Father can speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment