Wednesday, February 2, 2011

RENOVATION

renovate (verb): to restore to good condition; make new or as if new again; repair; to reinvigorate; refresh; revive.

I am a person who is intrigued with the "before and after". Trash to treasure is one way to phrase it. You can see one of my projects here...  
Before                                                                 After
I like to search yard sales, consignment shops and trash piles for items that have possibility. To take something that no one wants or something that is by popular opinion no longer useful or ugly and transform it into something useful and beautiful brings me great joy. (it can also be very economical)

The house we just purchased has those traits. Not too much works right now...the plumbing has leaks, no kitchen exists, only a few lights are hooked up. Heat? The last time I visited the property the thermostat said 47 degrees. The walls have holes and several layers of wallpaper are showing. But the bones are good. While popular opinion might say that this place is trash, I see a treasure in her.

Many years ago, in a prophetic prayer time, someone prayed over Keith and I that we are in the renovation business. They said that "in the same way we enjoy renovation projects, God wants to use us in the renovation of lives". This declaration is a confirmation of what is in my heart; in our hearts. It is a joy to see God work in the lives of others with whom we have relationship. As a couple, it has been our pleasure to encourage and pray for others. To see people gain confidence and victory in their spiritual walk is very rewarding. Bottom line for us: we want to be an extension of the hands of Jesus; to partner with God in touching other lives so that they are RENOVATED.

Father God...touch me today. Renovate me on the inside. Restore me, repair me, refresh me and revive me. Make me useful and beautiful for your glory. Amen.
Create in me a pure heart, O God. Renew a willing spirit within me. Restore to me your salvation joy...sustain me.   Psalm 51

Here is one of the treasures we found in this house.
 
 

6 comments:

  1. That chair and treasures you find are great! Where is this house? Do you eventually plan to move from where you are to there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, so exciting! I was just talking to Bekah and she told me you got the house. I am so excited to have found your blog to and look forward to following your journey. YEAH - we are so excited for you guys and look forward to seeing the place! Have a fun Saturday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited about this house. I can't wait to see what all you do to it! YAY :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what you shared reminds me so much about what I have realized is both my passion and personal mission--to uncover hidden potential in people and things. sure their is an economical savings of taking a yard sale find and making it 'shine'. of course, not so much if you count the time. but, the saving part was what I enjoyed---saving from trash is what i mean. like when I was a social worker and someone said a person was beyond help i quickly volunteered. not b/c i had supernatural talents but b/c i loved seeing god reveal his power in that person's life and impact that story had for all.
    you and Keith truly live out what you share here. i like how you have a bigger picture perspective on the cost. sometimes trying to be 'cheap' can be much more costly. you guys truly invest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered this blog while blog hopping from Delynn and Gloria Hoover's blog. I can't wait to see what you make of this house - that built in closet thing is BEAUTIFUL!! I will definitely be following your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda,
    I have an old wicker chair (white) that I'm actually thinking of cleaning up and painting a dark chocolate brown. I'm not sure if I'm up for the time/energy if it's not going to turn out. I'm curious, did you use spray paint? Does the paint chip? My chair had been an outdoor chair for someone else so the white paint is really chipping, i want to make sure I do it right. You look like just the right person to ask :)
    Thanks, Jen

    ReplyDelete