Saturday, March 19, 2011

LABOR

While shoveling out piles of old dust and plaster after demolishing some walls, thoughts of "hard, common labor" came to mind. Nobody really sees or appreciates this part of the renovation work. Mostly, they will enjoy the finished product; the fruit of the unseen difficult labor. But it is necessary work which needs to be done in order for our dreams and goals to be accomplished. I was covered with dust and dirt, wearing a dust mask to prevent it from getting into my lungs. My back was tiring from lifting and carrying. "This is hard work!", I thought. Load after load of trash was carried outside. The dumpster was filling fast.

Demo means piles of garbage...

The dumpster is sitting at the back of the property...a longer walk than hoped for but the soft soil in the yard prevented it from being brought closer. We're thankful for a wheelbarrow.

After one long day of clearing out the 1st floor after demo...another day's worth is yet to be deposited.
With this task, God reminded me that someone has to do the dirty work. Someone has to "carry out the trash". In that moment, He prompted me to begin praying for friends and acquaintances who are longing for freedom and healing in their lives. A teacher once said that part of praying of others is like being a garbage collector. When we pray for and minister to people in need of God's touch, we carry their "garbage" to the cross and give it to Jesus to carry and dispose of. This word picture has helped me understand my role in the Kingdom of God. It is a labor of love. It may not be glamorous work, but it is necessary work.

"But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor is not in vain." 1 Cor 15:57, 58

I am challenged in this. My labor in the Kingdom does not always need to be something extraordinary. It may mean doing a lot of behind the scenes labor. In that I am fulfilled. As I carry "garbage" to the Father, He takes it from me and disposes of it. In this we find victory. My labor is never in vain. Thanks be to God!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the spiritual connection to the physical labor. yes, remodeling a house is dirty :(...first hand experience (past & present)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is carefulness to demolition work. Tearing out too much to fast can cause callapse. I can trust Jesus to be about tearing out those parts of my life that most need getting rid of without my whole life imploding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet reminder, and so appropriate. Your house is amazing already... can't wait to journey with you as the reno continues.

    ReplyDelete